30 May 2010

I have fallen off the blogging wagon...

Time just seems to be rushing by. Have we been here for almost 2 weeks already? Does that mean we haven't talked to Nick's mom for like a week and a half? Bad Jen. Will call soon.

We discovered that we have, um, misplaced our, um, folder full of personal documents. We have our passports, because we had to travel with those on us, but our birth certificates (and certificates of births abroad) and marriage certificate, all of which are required in our quest for Nick's visa, are nowhere to be found. Not good. He is bummed. He was looking forward to getting all of that taken care of and getting his permission to work so that he could go forth and provide. Meanwhile, I was looking forward to picking up a part time night job and spending the days with the kids, catching up with friends, doing interesting Portland summer things. Instead, I'm looking for a full time job.

There isn't a whole lot out there (that doesn't suck) for someone without a degree. There are a whole lot of jobs I could be completely awesome at and would really enjoy (or at least learn a lot from) that won't consider me. I applied for a job at Whole Foods Market which would be cool for awhile. I'm seriously considering starting up an in-home day care with an AP slant; the economy is crap enough here that a lot of people who don't want to work think that they really need to and find themselves needing childcare. I love kids, and I think it would be something I would really enjoy. Maybe. But only if the families were awesome - I don't know how I would handle parents that had bad things to say about their kids or came from a completely opposite parenting direction. Hmmm, we'll see.

I signed Nate up for a couple of summer activities at the library - chess and lego building. He's excited.

1 comment:

  1. On the jobs bit-
    I know this is a bit far back, but I was reading this post today, and I wanted to let you know how I commiserate.

    There are not many fulfilling jobs out there for 19 year old, such as myself. Most jobs I can get are the soul crushing, demeaning, uniform wearing, corporate over lords kind of deal. I do not do well in these environments, you see, because I treat people with the same respect they show me. And in places like that, no one treats anyone in the "minimum wage" area with too much respect. Or anyone at all, for that matter.

    I've applied for positions I know everyone will think is out of my league, but I know I could do it. Like being a personal assistant. I would make an excellent personal assistant. I do not know why I know this, I just do. So I apply and apply but no one wants to believe that, yes, I am really smart and yes, I will live up to my oh so wonderful potential if they would only let me.

    Last year I worked for PCC in their student government as the Sustainability Coordinator for the southeast campus. It was awesome! The only problem was that you had to be rehired every year, and I didn't get called back.

    Why do I have to go to college for them to believe I'm smart? Can't I just be smart? Seriously?

    Well, anyway, sorry for yakking your ear off, I just know how that kind of stuff feels, and it obviously hit a nerve with me. Lol.

    :)

    ReplyDelete