07 December 2010

Reading and writing

Nate is reading so much now. It's amazing to me that 6 months ago he was not at all interested in reading, and upon discovery of comic books, he decided he could read.

Writing, though, has been something that he loses patience with very quickly. For awhile (in the pre-reading days) we had him doing workbook stuff to get him used to writing, but he absolutely hated it. I completely dropped it.

Yesterday he was filling in the information on a family tree birthday card that my mom gave him. I commented that he has really neat handwriting (he does). He said, "I just want to practice writing a bit more so that it gets easier. I want to like to write."

Blew my mind. What a smart kid. I'm so glad I laid off.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing what happens when we just let it go. What a beautiful thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    Hoping to get in touch with you as I'm from Sydney and coming to Portland for our annual family gathering for the month of January.
    Got one 4 year old boy and we're just embarking on Natural Learning, unschooling etc.
    You around? Need any vegemite? Lamingtons?
    Samantha@stormlight.com.au.
    All the best,
    Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam! Hi! Nice to meet you! Emailing you now. And I would LOVE me some Arnotts Mint Slices ;o)

    ReplyDelete