11 August 2010

Classes

This morning was the registration for the place the kids will be taking some classes this fall. Nate chose organic gardening, cooking, science labs, chess club, and lego club. Maya chose "animal junction" (an animal-inspired song and storytime for littlies), knitting, science explorations, science labs, and lego club. Eli can tag along for animal junction and lego club, and there is a play room too if that's what he wants to do. In addition, they'll take a few classes through Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District: ballet for Maya, gymnastics for Nate, and a sibling dance class for Maya and Eli which Maya's ballet teacher recommended after seeing Eli's interest in Maya's ballet class.

Hardly a stressful, academic schedule, but it is a whole lot of structure compared to what we're used to. I'm hoping that their enthusiasm for their chosen classes sticks around once the fall term starts. I so don't want them to feel burned out at all. I can't imagine that they would. What they'll be doing sounds like a dream - I would LOVE to take a bunch of interesting electives at a community college. Their classes are Monday through Thursday, and nobody ever has more than 2 classes (each class is an hour) a day. The earliest start is 10:15. The campus is two blocks away which is so awesome - I love walking where we need to go, not having to pack food, not having to anticipate what we might need so that I can pack the car up appropriately. In Sydney, we were at least 40 minutes from any sort of homeschool outing, so it's such a difference to be so close to the action. I love it.

4 comments:

  1. How cool o have so many classes so close to you. Hope the kids enjuy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too! Seems pretty awesome to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, these classes sound absolutely awesome. I wish there was something like them around here. I'm sure the kids will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for them to start! I'm probably more excited than they are.

    ReplyDelete