24 August 2010

Angry school rant

Forgive me for making an unoriginal argument, but doesn't it occur to the average parent that perhaps their children's curriculums are padded to keep the school days nice and long? Readying our kids for their future careers not by what they are actually learning, but by dumbing them down, killing their inquisitiveness, and institutionalizing them so that they will "happily" sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day?

I love this article by Daniel Quinn. I read it years ago, and I just reminded myself of it. If you're dubious about homeschooling, please read it.

So I was walking home the other day and a dude on a bike asked me about the townhouses we live in (are they nice, any available, great location, etc). I raved appropriately and mentioned that I love being so close to the library because of my kids. He asked what schools service this area. I told him I have no idea. Him: What, your kids don't go to school? Me: No, we homeschool. Him: Unmasked shock and annoyance. But you're going to send them to school sometime, right? Me: I don't know, this is working out pretty great for us. If they ever want to go to school, we'll address it then. Him: Exasperation and confusion, eye rolling at my eccentricity.

On the outside I tend to maintain the zen mother façade, shrugging off the judgement and pity that is directed at me and my poor, unsocialized kids. Sometimes I'm judging right back. Sometimes I don't care, it doesn't bother me because I know I'm doing the right thing for them.

But sometimes I get really angry! I want to scream, "Do you even know what your child is being taught in school?!" They are being taught not to question authority (no fun when you're smarter than your teacher and you know it). They are being taught to sit still so that they can spend the rest of their lives sitting still. They are being taught to follow the curriculum, not their own interests. They are being taught to play well with others, as long as those others are from the same socioeconomic background and are the same age. They are being taught that boys play boy games and girls play girl games and first graders are babies and sixth graders are bullies. They are being taught that if they plan on being "different", they had better bloody well have a strong enough character to not let it bother them that they are going to be made fun of constantly until they either graduate or drop out. Hope they can withstand the pressure and not end up committing suicide or killing multiple classmates and teachers in a violent rampage.

And *I'm* the crazy one for *not* sending my kids to school?

Now I'm not saying that all parents who send their kids to school are complete suckers. I know a lot of parents who have examined the issue very closely and intelligently and decided for various reasons that school is their best option. And I know a lot of kids who have chosen to go to school even though their parents know everything that I know and would prefer (and have tried to persuade) them to stay home. Some kids are strong enough to get through school intact. More power to 'em. It is some people's idea of hell on Earth to stay home with their kids all day every day. I know a lot of women who think it is degrading to be expected to be a homemaker while the partner is out "in the world", doing intelligent adult stuff. Personally, I can't imagine a more important profession than raising conscious, aware, intelligent, thoughtful human beings.

It just shits me to no end when people don't question their choices and blindly go along with what society says they should be doing. And then judge ME for making an unpopular choice. Why don't people think for themselves? Why don't they consider what they are doing? Why blindly follow?

Oh yeah. They went to school.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting. I love comments. Especially on this passionate kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finally got to read this blog post. Great stuff! So nice for me to read on my first day back to school. I LOVE the freedom I have to be able to choose what my son wants to learn...encourage one thing, bypass or speed through another add on some baking in the middle of the day for some good math etc. Reiley spends very little of his day sitting at his "schooltime" desk, even though he kinda likes it;-) Kids really do thrive this way! Sorry to hear of your frustrating encounter, I totally sympathize. Shake it off and stand up with confidence, you are doing a great thing for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shelley. I know I am :o)

    ReplyDelete